Homemade Beef Jerky
1 pound Round Steak
1/4 C Soy Sauce
1/2 t. black pepper
1 t brown sugar
1 t hot pepper sauce
- In a medium bowl, combine the soy sauce, ground black pepper and brown sugar to taste. Mix well and add the steak slices. Place entire mixture with meat into a sealed plastic container and refrigerate for 12 to 24 hours.
- In the oven, place one oven rack on the highest rack setting and one rack on the lowest setting. Place a piece of aluminum foil OR a baking sheet on the lowest rack, to catch any drippings.
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees F (70 degrees C).
- Insert a wooden toothpick through the end of each slice of meat, and suspend each slice from the top rack in the oven, using the toothpick as a support for the slice.
- Bake at 160 degrees F (70 degrees C) with the oven door propped open to allow moisture to escape. Bake for 6 to 8 hours depending on thickness of slices. If using dehydrator, check at 3 or 4 hours. Jerky should bend, and not snap.
Amount Per Serving Calories: 204 | Total Fat: 13g | Cholesterol: 55mg